Picture this: your manicure is impeccable, your nails have the perfect shape, the nail varnish looks glossy, and you show off your hands whenever you get the chance. At some point a nail breaks, killing your enthusiasm. You tend to hide that hand because the broken nail spoils your camera-ready mani. And you are feeling slightly frustrated.
Has this ever happened to you? We believe so, and we understand how annoying it is. That is why we rounded up some useful tips on how to fortify your brittle nails to avoid any accidents in the future:
· Start using a nail strengthener that prevents chipping and splitting providing a smooth coating that reinforces the nails. OPI’s Natural Nail Strengthener fortifies nails and also works as a base coat. It can be used alone or with any OPI nail varnish of your choice
· Try to avoid direct contact with dishwashing liquids as much as possible. The harsh chemicals they contain will attack your nails, making them even more vulnerable and prone to breakage. Remember to always use protection gloves in the kitchen. Your nails will thank you for it!
· A rich hand cream will become your hands and nails’ best friend right from the very first application. Ideal to use at work and on the go, hand cream needs to have a permanent spot in your handbag. Choose a nourishing hand cream enriched with natural oils and vitamins and apply it every time after washing your hands (dermatologist’s orders) massaging a small amount into nails and cuticles
· Whenever you’ve got a little spare time at home, try a DIY fortifying treatment. Dip your nails in warm olive oil (amazing for its high content of vitamins, iron, calcium and magnesium), or lemon juice (fortifies and also helps get rid of yellow stains on the nails)
· Steer clear of hand sanitizers which contain alcohol. They tend to dry the skin and nails, so they will only worsen your problem. Wash hands with a natural, creamy soap and remember to apply that cream once your hands are dry
· Brittle nails should be kept short at all times. If you normally use a file to shorten your nails, move it in one direction only, with long, light strokes. This will prevent them from peeling even more.
Follow these tips to help your nails grow stronger and longer, and be prepared to bid farewell to weak, splitting and brittle nails.